Hello! I'm Amy Vafa.
I've been loving life, loving you, and lets be real - loving coffee - since '89. Living along one of the worlds biggest fresh water lakes in Michigan (the #freshcoast), I am outside taking advantage of the fresh air & shark free waters as much as possible. When I'm not obsessing over Michigan's outdoors, you can find me on a long run, talking to my plants (self admitted plant lady over here), in the corner of a coffee shop with my husband, or devouring a good book. Throughout my life I've been most described as an optimist with a fierce justice heart; I'm the wild youngest child and have honestly been in love with life since day one - in love with people, the earth, animals, and everything in between.
OBSESSIONS INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
The 90's, minimalism, plants, afternoon naps, Trader Joes, car dancing (it's a thing), #PureMichigan, eucalyptus, lavender, black coffee, & my husband!
Remember the days when we would fill out random questionnaires about ourselves, and then post them to our livejournal or Myspace page (No? Was that just me? Am I officially too old?). Let's pretend that's cool again:
1. If you were an animal, what would you be? A dinosaur, hands down. But I'm a vegetarian, so naturally I would be one of the non-people-eating kinds.
2. What is your favorite song? Satellite by DMB, Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole, and most Bob Marley jams are forever at the top of my list.
3. Sunrise or sunset? Sunrise; the mornings are my most favorite time of day.
4. If you could go anywhere in the world tomorrow, where would it be? So many places! In fact - I have a bucket list - and you may or may not be able to score a free wedding with me if you're tying the knot somewhere on my list. Just sayin'.
5. You're trapped on a deserted island with only three things - what are they? Suntan lotion, tequila, and my husband - does he count?
When I was a young girl, I would sit at the top of the stairs with photo books in my lap looking through images my father took in college. Sunsets, spaces, people he knew. I loved any image I could get my hands on from my parents early days before me and my sisters were even an idea. When I found my parents’ wedding photos, I stared endlessly at my mothers wedding dress, my fathers shaggy blonde hair, the emotional moments the photographer captured from behind a door when they weren’t looking. In college I discovered my fathers old film camera that he took all his early photos on, I signed up for photography classes, and honestly…the rest just made sense.
In autumn of 2013 I threw caution to the wind and went full speed ahead with photography, focusing on what I was mesmerized by the most; weddings. It wasn’t that I just picked wedding photography for something to do; it was my dream. And each and every wedding I’m given the honor to photograph, it’s my dream to capture moments and details in a way that not only my clients adore, but their families for generations to come will devour. It’s my dream to document history, to preserve your most beautiful moments, to serve and honor you in one of the most phenomenal days of your life.
Your wedding day will be stunning, I want to make sure it’s remembered the same way.